Fragrant Garam Masala Chicken Stew with Peas and Potatoes
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, meaty sides down; cook about 6 minutes or until brown on both sides, turning once.
- Coat a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or line the slow cooker with a disposable liner. In the slow cooker combine potatoes, onion, ginger, and garlic. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour broth and tomato sauce over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 3/4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Stir in peas, yogurt, and garam masala. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
From the Test Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Instructions
Lightly coat inside of a 4- to 6-qt. multifunction electric or stove-top pressure cooker. Heat cooker to medium-high (for electric cooker, use saute setting). Cook half the chicken 6 minutes or until browned on both sides; remove from pot. Repeat with remaining chicken. Drain off fat. Place potatoes, onion, ginger, and garlic in cooker. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour broth and tomato sauce over all. Lock lid in place.
Set electric cooker on high pressure to cook 12 minutes. For stove-top cooker, bring up to pressure over medium-high heat; reduce heat enough to maintain steady (but not excessive) pressure. Cook 12 minutes. Remove from heat. For both models, let stand 15 minutes to release pressure naturally. Release any remaining pressure. Open lid carefully. Stir peas, yogurt, and garam masala into chicken mixture in cooker. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Fragrant Garam Masala Chicken Stew with Peas and Potatoes )
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 95 mg chol. ,
- 510 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.