Flax-Crusted Tuna Burgers with Avocado Aioli
- Thaw tuna, if frozen. Rinse tuna; pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop* tuna and set aside. In a medium bowl beat egg white with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, tarragon, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Add tuna; stir gently to combine. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties, using damp hands if necessary.
- In a shallow dish combine the flaxseed meal and flaxseeds. Dip tuna patties into flaxseed mixture, turning to coat evenly.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet or nonstick griddle with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add tuna patties; cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into sides of patties registers 160 degrees F, turning once halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl use a potato masher or fork to coarsely mash avocado. Add mayonnaise, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Continue to mash until mixture is well mixed but still slightly chunky.
- To serve, place one sandwich thin half, cut side up, on each of four serving plates. Top with spinach leaves and tomato slices. Top each with a cooked tuna patty. Spoon one-fourth of the avocado mixture over each patty.
From the Test Kitchen
To chop tuna, place it in a food processor. Process with several on/off turns just until finely chopped and uniform. Do not overprocess.
Nutrition Facts (Flax-Crusted Tuna Burgers with Avocado Aioli)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 531 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.