Flavored Slow Cooker Corn Bread
- Line a 3 1/2- or 4-qt. oval slow cooker with foil; coat with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add egg mixture all at once to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Spoon into prepared cooker (cooker will only be about one-fourth full).
- Cover and cook on high 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean, giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through if possible.
- Turn off cooker. If possible, remove crockery liner from cooker. Remove lid (carefully lift so condensation from lid does not drip onto bread). Cover opening completely with paper towels; replace lid. Cool 10 minutes. Using foil, lift out bread. Peel off foil and cool bread completely on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Bacon-Brown Sugar Corn Bread
Prepare as directed, except substitute packed brown sugar for the sugar and stir 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled, into egg mixture.
Per Serving: 280 calories, 6 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 11 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 500 mg sodium, 11% calcium, 10% iron
Honey-Jalapeno Corn Bread
Prepare as directed, except reduce sugar to 2 Tbsp. and stir 2 Tbsp. honey and 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped,* into egg mixture.
Per Serving: 255 Calories, 5 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 9 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 431 mg sodium, 11% calcium, 10% iron
Chipotle-Cheddar Corn Bread
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 canned chipotle pepper, finely chopped, into egg mixture.
Per Serving: 290 calories, 7 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 497 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 10% iron
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Place cooled corn bread in an airtight container and store at room temperature 2 to 24 hours. To reheat, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap bread in foil and heat 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Flavored Slow Cooker Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 259 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 431 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.