- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving paper handging over sides. Coat parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- To a very large mixing bowl add gelatin. Pour water over to cover completely; stir to combine.
- In a large saucepan combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, flavored syrup, and salt over medium heat; stirring until sugar is completely melted. Bring sugar mixture to boiling over medium-high heat; attach a candy thermometer to saucepan. Boil 1 to 2 minutes more or until thermometer registers 240 degrees F.
- With mixer set to medium speed, pour sugar syrup down side of mixing bowl into gelatin mixture. Increase speed to high; mix 5 minutes until marshmallow mixture is white and fluffy and bowl is cool to touch, about 122 degrees F.
- Using a rubber spatula, transfer marshmallow mixture to prepared pan; spread evenly. Add drops of food coloring to mixture, about 2 inches apart. Using a table knife, swirl in coloring. Chill, uncovered, about 4 hours or overnight
- Remove from refrigerator. Sift powdered sugar over marshmallow. Turn out onto cutting board; remove any attached paper. Sift powdered sugar over other side. Using a sharp knife coated with powdered sugar (to prevent sticking), cut marshmallow into squares. Place additional powdered sugar in a small bowl; dredge squares. Place additional powdered sugar in a small bowl; dredge squares to coat. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Makes 117 one-inch marshmallows.
From the Test Kitchen
If using a hand-held mixer, place a wet cloth underneath the bowl so it doesn't slide on the counter top.
Nutrition Facts (Flavored Marshmallows)
- Per serving:
- 35 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 10 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.