Flavored Dinner Rolls
- Line a 5- to 6-qt. oval slow cooker with parchment paper. Coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. cornmeal.
- In a large bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and salt. Add the warm water and 4 Tbsp. of the melted butter. Beat with a mixer on medium 30 seconds, scraping bowl as needed. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes). Shape dough into 16 balls by pulling dough and pinching underneath. Place balls in prepared cooker (sides will be touching).
- Cover and cook on high 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers 195 degrees F (tops of rolls may be slightly wet). Using parchment paper, lift out rolls. If desired, cool on a wire rack.
- Preheat broiler. Peel off paper and place rolls on a baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 Tbsp. melted butter.* Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes or until light brown.
From the Test Kitchen
Chive-Dill Dinner Rolls
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives or sliced green onions and 2 to 3 Tbsp. snipped fresh dill or 1 tsp. dried dill into yeast mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 3% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C
Everything Bagel Dinner Rolls
In a small bowl combine 1 tsp. each sesame, poppy, and caraway seeds and dried minced onion. Prepare as directed, except stir 2 tsp. of the sesame seed mixture into yeast mixture. Before brushing rolls with melted butter and broiling, sprinkle with remaining sesame seed mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 139 calories, 1% calcium, 8% iron
Pumpkin-Ginger Dinner Rolls
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 tsp. ground ginger into yeast mixture, reduce warm water to 1 cup, and add 1/2 cup canned pumpkin with the warm water.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 140 calories, 23 g carbohydrate, 26% Vitamin A, 1% calcium, 8% iron
To remelt butter, microwave it for 5 to 10 seconds.
Nutrition Facts (Flavored Dinner Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 137 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 248 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.