- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place rack in lower third of the oven. Mince garlic; in a small bowl mash garlic with 1 tsp. kosher salt to make a paste. Add butter, herbs, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper; mash with a fork. Put one-third of butter mixture in a separate bowl; stir in flour. Cover and chill for thickening gravy.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey; set aside. Discard the liver. Pat turkey dry. Working from large cavity end, use your fingers to gently loosen breast skin and leg skin nearest breast. Push remaining butter mixture under the loosened skin. Massage to spread butter evenly. Season inside of turkey with salt and pepper. Quarter two of the onions; finely chop the third. Insert one quartered onion into cavity. Season outside of turkey with salt and pepper. Fold neck skin under body, tuck wing tips under breast, and tie drumsticks together with 100% cotton kitchen string.
- Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan; pour 2 cups water into the bottom of the pan. Tent turkey with foil. Roast 2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thigh registers at least 175 degrees F, rotating pan and adding 1 cup water to pan after 1 hour. Remove from oven. Carefully tilt turkey so juices inside turkey run into pan. Discard onion from cavity. Transfer turkey to a platter; loosely cover with foil. Let stand for 30 minutes. Remove and discard string.
- For turkey stock: While turkey roasts, place neck and giblets in a large saucepan. Add second quartered onion, the carrot, celery, and bouquet garni; fill with cold water (about 4 cups). Bring to boiling, skim foam from surface; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 hour. Strain, discarding solids. Measure 3 cups.
- For gravy: Strain pan juices through a mesh sieve into bowl. Let stand 5 minutes; skim off and reserve fat. Place roasting pan across two burners and cook remaining chopped onion in 1/4 cup of reserved fat over medium heat about 5 minutes or until golden, stirring and scraping up browned bits. Add wine; bring to boiling. Boil gently for 8 to 12 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Add turkey stock and pan juices; bring to boiling. Whisk chilled butter mixture into boiling liquid until thickened. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Slice turkey; serve with gravy.
From the Test Kitchen
14 to 16 lb turkey
Roast 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thigh registers at least 175 degrees F.
If desired, add several halved Italian onions or shallots and several halved lemons to a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Add to the oven the last 30 minutes of roasting time. Roast, uncovered, until browned and tender. Place around turkey to serve along with fresh sage sprigs.
Nutrition Facts (Flash-Roasted Turkey)
- Per serving:
- 634 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 267 mg chol. ,
- 706 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 71 g pro.
I could have cooked the turkey at 325 and had faster and better results. Yes, my oven is fine - I have an oven thermometer and cooked a perfect beef tenderloin the night before. The gravy was not particularly good and the dressing was OK but not brilliant. BHG fail.