Flaky Cheese Biscuits
- Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet and serve warm.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for four to six strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary and dip cutter into flour between cuts.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
From the Test Kitchen
If baking powder or cream of tartar appear lumpy, sift through a fine-mesh sieve before using.
Prepare as above, except for rolled dough biscuits substitute 1-1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk (see tip, page 000) for the 1 cup milk. For drop biscuits substitute 1-1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1-1/4 cups milk.
Nutrition Analysis Buttermilk rolled: 273 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carb., 15 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 479 mg sodium, 18% calcium, 9% iron Nutrition Analysis Buttermilk drop:276 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carb., 16 g total fat, (10 g sat. fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 483 mg sodium, 19% calcium, 9% iron
Prepare as above through Step 1, except increase the milk to 1-1/4 cups. Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds onto a greased baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Makes 12 biscuits.
Nutriiton Analysis Drop: 272 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carb., 15 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 467 mg sodium, 17% calcium, 95 iron
Twist on a Classic
Fry up a few eggs and some bacon and transform these biscuits into impressive breakfast sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts (Flaky Cheese Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 269 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 465 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.