Flaky Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 1 1/4 inches thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Dip cutter into flour between cuts and reroll scraps as necessary.
- Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove biscuits from baking sheet. Cool slightly.
- To serve, split biscuits and place on six serving plates. Spoon Sausage Gravy over split biscuits. If desired, sprinkle with chives.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 1/4 cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Prepare biscuits as directed; cool completely. Place biscuits in a resealable plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months. Prepare Sausage Gravy as directed. Place in an airtight container; seal and chill for up to 48 hours. To serve, thaw biscuits at room temperature (allow about 2 hours). If desired, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. In a medium saucepan reheat Sausage Gravy over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through. If necessary, stir in additional milk to make desired consistency.
- In a very large skillet cook bulk pork sausage and chopped onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Do not drain. Sprinkle all-purpose flour over meat mixture; stir into the meat mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While whisking, gradually add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in snipped fresh thyme, if desired. Makes about 5 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Flaky Biscuits and Sausage Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 897 kcal ,
- 57 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 20 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 155 mg chol. ,
- 1704 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.