Five-Spice Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut off tips of the wings; discard wing tips. Cut each wing at joint to make two pieces.
- In a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan, arrange wing pieces in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine plum sauce, melted butter, and five-spice powder. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat with sauce.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm- or low-heat setting for up to 1 hour. If desired, sprinkle with slivered green onions.
From the Test Kitchen
BUFFALO-STYLE CHICKEN WINGS: Prepare chicken as in Step 1. For sauce, in slow cooker combine 1-1/2 cups hot-style barbecue sauce, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 to 2 teaspoons bottled hot pepper sauce. Add wing pieces, stirring to coat with sauce. Continue as in Step 3. Serve with bottled blue cheese or ranch salad dressing. Omit the fruit garnish. KENTUCKY CHICKEN WINGS: Prepare chicken as in Step 1. For sauce, in slow cooker combine 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup whiskey, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add wing pieces, stirring to coat with sauce. Continue as in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Five-Spice Chicken Wings)
- Per serving:
- 32 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
in pastry I replace half the quantity with grated apple, which adds moisture and has the added benefit of browning well.
In baking like this I reduce the amount proportionally and substitute half with a healthy fat of coconut oil.
Hope that helps.