Fish Tortas with Mexican Cocktail Sauce
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- For Mexican-style cocktail sauce, in a small bowl combine the cocktail sauce, jalapeno chile pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin; set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine the crushed corn flakes, garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. In a second shallow dish beat egg with a fork. Sprinkle fish with salt and flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg, then into corn flake mixture, pressing mixture lightly onto fish. Arrange fish on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the tilapia for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. If desired, top each fish fillet with a slice of cheese; bake for 1 minute more or until cheese is melted.
- Spread cut sides of rolls with mayonnaise and Mexican-style cocktail sauce. Top with a fish fillet and desired toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Fish Tortas with Mexican Cocktail Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 742 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 137 mg chol. ,
- 1208 mg sodium ,
- 75 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 42 g pro.