Firecracker Party Cake
- Allow separated eggs to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick spray for baking; line bottom of pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, water, canola oil, food coloring, and cinnamon oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cayenne for 30 seconds to distribute the leavening. Sift the flour mixture over the egg yolk mixture and stir until smooth; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer* combine the egg whites and salt. Beat on high speed until foamy. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and beat for 10 seconds. Slowly add the remaining 3/4 sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon about 1/2 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and stir to lighten. Spoon the remaining egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and fold until no white streaks remain. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and invert cake onto a wire rack; remove parchment. Cool completely. Wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap and freeze 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer; unwrap. Use a long serrated knife to cut cake into 1 1/2-inch wide strips, then cut strips crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Set pieces aside.
- Place the water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside for 5 minutes until gelatin looks like wet sand.
- Place the bowl with the gelatin in the microwave and cook for 10-second intervals until completely melted, swirling after each interval. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer* combine the whipping cream, mascarpone, and powdered sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. Add a large dollop of cream mixture to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine. With mixer running, slowly pour the gelatin mixture into the remaining whipped cream mixture, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Transfer some of the mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Line the outside bottom edge of a 4- to 5 -quart clear glass straight-sided bowl or trifle dish with cake pieces, pressing pieces very close together so there are not gaps between pieces. Fill in the center of the bowl with cake pieces to make an even layer of cake. Pipe or spread an even 1 1/2-inch layer of whipped cream on top of the cake cubes. Arrange a second layer of cake cubes over the cream layer and then pipe or spread another layer of cream over cake to reach the top of the bowl. Spread cream evenly. Starting around the edge and working toward the center, pipe remaining cream in small mounds on top of the cake. Top with sprinkles. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
You can also use a portable hand mixer. Use a very large mixing bowl.
Nutrition Facts (Firecracker Party Cake)
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 130 mg chol. ,
- 183 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.