Fiesta Corn Salad
- In a large saucepan cover and cook corn and soybeans in enough boiling water to cover for 2 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- In a large bowl stir together corn, soybeans, red onion, snipped cilantro, and jalapeno pepper.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine olive oil, lime peel and juice, cumin seeds, salt, garlic, and chili powder. Cover and shake well.
- Pour dressing over corn mixture; toss gently to coat. Gently stir in tomatoes. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To toast cumin seeds, place them in a small skillet over medium heat. Heat about 2 minutes or until aromatic, shaking skillet often.
Prepare as directed, except do not stir in tomatoes. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Stir in tomatoes just before serving.
Fiesta Corn and Rice Salad:
Prepare as directed, except add 2 cups cooked long grain rice to the salad. Makes 20 (1/2-cup) servings.
Nutrition Facts (Fiesta Corn Salad )
- Per serving:
- 75 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 150 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.