Farro and Beef Stew with Roasted Vegetables
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces; set aside. In a plastic bag combine flour, 1/4 tsp. of the salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Add meat pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a Dutch oven heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the meat; cook until brown. Remove meat from pan. Repeat with another 1 Tbsp. of the oil and the remaining meat.
- Add onion, garlic, and thyme to Dutch oven. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Drain off fat. Return all of the meat to pan. Add broth, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Stir in the water and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a shallow roasting pan combine potatoes and carrots and/or parsnips. Drizzle with the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and the remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper. Toss to coat. Roast, uncovered, 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and light brown, stirring once or twice.
- Stir farro into meat mixture. Cook 30 to 35 minutes more or until farro is tender.* Stir in roasted vegetables. If desired, stir in parsley before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
If using regular barley or wheat berries, cook about 45 minutes more or until tender.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Cool slightly. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover and chill up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months. To serve, thaw stew in the refrigerator 1 to 2 days if frozen. Transfer thawed or chilled stew to a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional beef broth, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Farro and Beef Stew with Roasted Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 406 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 566 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.