Farm Country Three-Meat Pizza
The day before:
- In a small bowl sprinkle yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of the sugar over the warm water. Let stand about 5 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- In a food processor combine flour, salt, pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar. Cover and process with several on/off pulses just until combined. With the processor running, pour yeast mixture through feed tube in a steady stream. Process for 1 minute. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into four portions.* Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Pat or roll each portion of dough into an 8-inch circle. Place on the prepared baking sheets; brush tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake about 8 minutes or until firm but not brown; cool. Place crusts in a storage container and chill overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat; cool. Transfer cooked sausage to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote crusts, cooked sausage, pasta sauce, ham, bacon, sweet pepper, onion, and cheese in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). Lightly coat one side of each crust with cooking spray. For a charcoal grill, carefully slide two of the crusts, coated sides down, onto the lightly greased grill rack directly over low coals. Cover and grill about 1 1/2 minutes or until bottoms are light brown and firm (tops will be dry but soft). Transfer crusts, grilled sides up, to a flat baking sheet.
- Spread each crust with 1/4 cup of the pasta sauce. Top with one-fourth of the sausage, ham, bacon, sweet pepper, and onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Transfer pizzas from the baking sheet to the grill rack. Cover and grill for 4 to 6 minutes more or until crusts are crisp and cheese is melted, moving pizzas around to brown evenly. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to low. Carefully slide two of the crusts onto lightly greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Repeat with the remaining two crusts and the remaining toppings. Cut pizzas into wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, divide the dough in half and roll each portion into a 12-inch circle. Double the amounts of toppings for each pizza.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
Flat baking sheet
Nutrition Facts (Farm Country Three-Meat Pizza )
- Per serving:
- 633 kcal ,
- 39 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 16 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 87 mg chol. ,
- 1464 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 29 g pro.