English Lemon Curd Sandwich Cookies
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in pecans and as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Use a floured 2-inch scalloped round cookie cutter to cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using a 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut and remove a circle from the center of half of the cookies.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Spread 1-1/2 teaspoons of the Lemon Curd on bottoms of the solid cookies. Top with the cutout cookies, bottom sides down.
From the Test Kitchen
Place sandwich cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze unfilled cookies for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Fill as directed.
- In a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir half of the lemon mixture into the egg yolks. Return egg mixture to the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add butter pieces, stirring until melted. Cover surface of the curd with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour or for up to 48 hours. Store covered in refrigerator up to 1 week or transfer to a freezer container and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving. Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (English Lemon Curd Sandwich Cookies )
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 91 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.