- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut chile peppers in half lengthwise; discard stems, seeds, and membranes.* Place chile pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten peppers with your hand. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender. Bring the foil up around peppers and fold edges of foil together to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of the skins; gently pull off skins in strips and discard. Finely chop the peppers; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- For pork filling, in a large bowl combine pork, tomato, and 1/2 cup of the roasted chile peppers. Place about 1/3 cup of the pork filling just below center of each tortilla. Fold bottom edge up and over filling. Fold opposite edges in and over filling. Roll up tortillas; place, seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish. Bake about 20 minutes or until enchiladas are golden brown and heated through.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a blender combine the remaining roasted chile peppers, the Mexican crema, whipping cream, half of the cilantro, and the salt; cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened and heated through (do not boil). Stir in queso fresco. Remove from heat.
- Spoon sauce over baked enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Enchiladas Zacatecanos)
- Per serving:
- 636 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 136 mg chol. ,
- 796 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.