Cheese and Mushroom Brunch Eggs (for 24)
- For sauce, in a large saucepan melt the 6 tablespoons margarine or butter. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cheeses. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheeses melt. Remove from heat.
- Spray an unheated 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick coating. Heat skillet over medium heat. Cook half of the mushrooms and green onions in skillet until tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl; set aside. Repeat with remaining mushrooms and green onions.
- Break 12 of the eggs into a bowl; beat to combine the whites and yolks. In the same skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the margarine or butter. Add the 12 beaten eggs. Cook over medium heat without stirring until eggs begin to set on the bottom and around the edge. Using a large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking until eggs are set throughout, but still glossy and moist. Transfer scrambled eggs to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Break and scramble another 12 eggs using another 1 tablespoon of the margarine or butter in the skillet; remove from heat.
- Spread about 3/4 cup (one-fourth) of the mushroom mixture over the eggs in the baking dish. Drizzle about 1-3/4 cups (one fourth) of the sauce atop. Top with the remaining 12 scrambled eggs, about 3/4 cup mushroom mixture, and about 1-3/4 cup sauce.
- Break and scramble another 12 eggs, cooking them in another 1 tablespoon of the margarine. Layer in another 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with remaining 12 eggs and remaining 1 tablespoon margarine. Layer eggs as above. Bake both casseroles, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with tomato wedges and remaining sliced green onions. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 24 hours ahead, prepare casseroles. Cover and chill. To serve, bake as directed except increase baking time to about 55 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Cheese and Mushroom Brunch Eggs (for 24))
- Per serving:
- 289 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 441 mg chol. ,
- 419 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 19 g pro.