Basil Scrambled Eggs with Cornbread Toast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions, stirring 1/2 cup of the cheese into the batter. Spread batter in a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake 20 minutes or until corn bread is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool corn bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove corn bread from pan; cool completely.
- In a large skillet, prepare hash brown potatoes according to package directions. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 cup cheese during last 2 minutes of cooking. Set aside; keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Slice corn bread loaf into 8 slices (about 1-inch). Lay slices on a baking sheet. Place in oven to warm. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a wire whisk just until combined. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat and pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on the bottom and around the edge.
- With a spatula or large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture to let the uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat immediately.
- To serve, place 2 slices of corn bread on each of four plates. Divide scrambled eggs and hash browns among the plates. Sprinkle eggs and hash browns with fresh basil. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Finely shred additional basil to stir into ketchup. Serve alongside eggs, potatoes, and corn bread.
Test Kitchen Note:
For variation, omit cheese stirred into bread batter; stir in one 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained.
Nutrition Facts (Basil Scrambled Eggs with Cornbread Toast)
- Per serving:
- 635 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 396 mg chol. ,
- 960 mg sodium ,
- 66 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.