- Line a platter with paper towels; set aside. In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add one-fourth of the plantain slices, arranging slices in a single layer; cook until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Transfer to prepared platter; cover with foil and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining plantain slices, adding another 1 tablespoon of the butter when needed.
- In the same skillet heat the ham until heated through and lightly browned, turning once. Transfer ham to the platter with the plantains. In the same skillet melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Break eggs into skillet, in batches if needed. Reduce heat to low; cook eggs, covered, for 2 to 4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks start to thicken. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, if using whole black beans, place in a small bowl; mash with a potato masher or fork. Spoon refried beans or mashed beans into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. (Or spoon beans into a small saucepan; heat and stir over medium-low heat until heated through.)
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the beans on each of six of the tostada shells or tortillas. If desired, place each bean-spread tostada shell or tortilla on top of a plain tostada shell or tortilla. Top bean-spread tostada shells or tortillas with warm ham slices, fried eggs, and Roasted Tomato Sauce or salsa. Sprinkle with cooked peas and cheese. Serve with the cooked plantains.
From the Test Kitchen
To fry tortillas, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, one at at time, to hot oil. Cook for about 1 minute, turning once. Drain on paper towels. (Or if you prefer, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake about 5 minutes or until crisp.)
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts (Eggs Motulenos)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 240 mg chol. ,
- 971 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.