Eggplant, Fennel, and Sausage Slow Cooker Baked Ziti
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine sausage, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes, the water, wine, tomato paste, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in pasta and 1/2 cup basil. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.* Stir pasta mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more. Let stand, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional basil.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, skip 30 minutes of slow cooking by tossing the eggplant mixture and 1/2 cup basil with 6 to 8 ounces of cooked ziti or penne pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Eggplant, Fennel, and Sausage Slow Cooker Baked Ziti)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 479 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.
Wynn Datillio 493 Days Ago
It is 1 14 1/2 oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes
Marsha Christensen 1500 Days Ago
your ingredients for several recipes are very wrong. Bakled Chicken Breasts w black bean rice pilaf asks for 1 oz black beans, rinsed and drained? This Ziti recipe calls for 1 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes? PLEASE CORRECT YOUR ERRORS.