- In a large bowl stir together mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar; stir in 1/3 cup of the eggnog and 2 tablespoons of the rum. In a chilled medium bowl beat whipping cream with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).** Fold whipped cream into mascarpone cheese mixture. (To fold ingredients, use a rubber spatula to cut down through the mixture, move across the bottom of the bowl, and come back up, folding the mixture from the bottom over the top. Turn bowl a quarter turn. Repeat to fold in uniformly.)
- To assemble, arrange half of the ladyfinger halves in the bottom of a 9x9x2-inch baking pan, cutting ladyfingers as needed to fit. Combine the remaining 2/3 cup eggnog and the remaining 2 tablespoons rum. Pour half of the eggnog mixture over ladyfingers. Evenly spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Sprinkle with half of the nutmeg. Repeat layers. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Loaf Pan Option:
Prepare as directed in Step 1. To assemble, line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Using soft ladyfingers, place ladyfingers along the sides of the loaf pan, flat sides facing in. Place additional ladyfingers on the bottom of the pan, flat sides facing up. Brush ladyfingers with half of the eggnog mixture; spread with half of the mascarpone mixture. Add another layer of ladyfingers. Pour eggnog mixture over and spread with remaining mascarpone mixture. Top with a final layer of ladyfingers. Cover with plastic wrap; chill as directed in Step 2. To unmold, remove top layer of plastic wrap and invert pan onto a platter. Remove pan. Carefully pull to remove the plastic wrap. If desired, sprinkle the top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Be sure to use dark rum because white rum is too harsh.
If you overbeat the whipping cream, stir in up to 1/4 cup additional whipping cream to bring it back to desired consistency.
Using freshly grated nutmeg will give a fresher, more pronounced flavor. Whole nutmeg also stores longer than purchased ground nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 very large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, hot water, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until thick and pale yellow.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a large bowl beat egg whites and salt on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Add the yolk mixture and fold in by hand just until combined. Sift 1/2 cup all-purpose flour over egg mixture; fold in gently, just until combined. Repeat with remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (do not overmix).
- Place batter in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe batter into 48 ladyfinger shapes (about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide) onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Sift powdered sugar over ladyfingers.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until set and golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Eggnog Tiramisu)
- Per serving:
- 443 kcal ,
- 34 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 167 mg chol. ,
- 71 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.