- Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with a double layer of plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together crushed gingersnap cookies and butter until combined. Press crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl combine eggs, egg yolks, and rum; stir in sugar, cinnamon, and the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Place bowl over a saucepan filled with gently boiling water (upper bowl should not touch the water). Cook, beating constantly on medium speed, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of mixture registers 140 degrees F and maintains that temperature for 3 1/2 minutes (15 to 18 minutes total). Remove from heat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash beaters thoroughly; dry beaters. In another large bowl beat whipping cream with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gently fold whipped cream into egg mixture. Carefully spoon mixture into loaf pan; smooth surface. Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours.
- To serve, remove plastic wrap from top of loaf pan. Using overhanging plastic wrap, lift semifreddo from pan; invert onto a chilled platter. Using a warm serrated knife, cut into slices. If desired, sprinkle slices with additional freshly grated nutmeg.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Semifreddo can be frozen for up to 3 days before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Eggnog Semifreddo)
- Per serving:
- 410 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 205 mg chol. ,
- 173 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.