Eggnog Baked Alaska
For Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 9-inch square cake pan, line with parchment paper, then butter paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together milk, egg, vinegar, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl beat oil and sugar with a mixer on medium until combined. Beat in one-third of the flour mixture until just combined. Scrape sides of bowl; add half the milk mixture and mix just to combine. Add half the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining milk mixture and food coloring, scraping sides of bowl and mixing just to combine between additions. Beat in remaining flour mixture until batter is combined and uniform.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out with a few crumbs. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Line a 9x4-inch Pullman pan (or 9x5-inch loaf pan) with plastic wrap. Spoon ice cream to within 1 inch of pan top.
- Cut cake in half. Place half on ice cream in pan. Cover and freeze several hours or up to 1 month. (Wrap and freeze remaining cake up to 2 months.)
- In a large heatproof bowl whisk together egg whites and sugar. (Mixture will be thick and grainy.) (For a 9x5-inch loaf pan, reduce egg whites to 3/4 cup (6 eggs) and sugar to 1 1/2 cups.)
- Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, being careful that bowl doesn't touch water. Whisk egg white mixture 10 minutes or until 160 degrees F, sugar is completely dissolved, and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan.
- Beat mixture with a mixer on medium-high about 6 minutes or until light, fluffy, glossy, and stiff peaks form.
- Invert and unmold cake onto a chilled serving plate. Remove plastic wrap. Cover with meringue, creating peaks with the back of a spoon. Return to the freezer for at least 1 hour or up to 4. Immediately before serving, toast meringue using a culinary torch. If you don't have a culinary torch, unmold the cake onto a baking sheet lined with foil. Cover with meringue as directed; freeze at least 1 hour. Place oven rack 4 to 5 inches away from broiler; preheat broiler. Broil cake 2 to 3 minutes or until peaks are golden brown. Transfer to a chilled serving plate; serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
9x5x3-inch loaf pan:
If you don't have a Pullman pan, use a 9-inch loaf pan. You will need to reduce the egg whites to 3/4 cup and sugar to 1 1/2 cups for the meringue.
If you don't have a culinary torch, unmold the ice cream onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Cover with meringue, creating peaks with the back of a spoon. Freeze at least 1 hour. Place oven rack in second-highest position. Preheat broiler. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until peaks are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Eggnog Baked Alaska)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 154 mg sodium ,
- 64 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 56 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.