Egg White Omelet
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl combine egg whites and pepper. Beat with a fork until combined, but not frothy.
- In an 8-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour egg white mixture into skillet. Cook over medium heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula around edges of skillet, lifting egg white mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg white mixture is set but is still shiny.
- If desired, top half of the omelet with desired filling. Lift and fold the unfilled half of omelet over filling. Gently slide omelet out of skillet onto a plate.
From the Test Kitchen
1. Asparagus-Cheese Filling: Cook 3 to 5 thin fresh asparagus spears in 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat until crisp-tender and browned. Fill omelet with asparagus and one 3/4-ounce desired-flavor individually foil-wrapped spreadable cheese wedge, cut up. Before serving, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped red sweet pepper and 1 teaspoon snipped fresh parsley or basil.
2. Bean Filling: Fill omelet with 1/3 cup canned reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained; 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese; and 1 to 2 tablespoons salsa.
3. Tomato-Avocado Filling: Fill omelet with 1/4 cup chopped avocado, 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato, and 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Before serving, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon snipped fresh cilantro.
4. Spinach-Feta Filling: Fill omelet with 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach, 2 tablespoons chopped red sweet pepper, and 2 tablespoons crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese.
5. Potato-Bacon Filling: Cook 1/3 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes and 1 slice chopped lower-sodium, less-fat bacon in 2 teaspoons olive oil until brown. Fill omelet with the potato-bacon mixture and 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
6. Denver Filling: Cook 2 tablespoons chopped green sweet pepper and 2 tablespoons chopped onion in 1 teaspoon olive oil until tender. Fill omelet with the cooked vegetables; 1/3 cup finely chopped, lower-sodium cooked ham; and 1 teaspoon snipped fresh basil.
7. Italian Filling: Cook 1/4 cup chopped Italian-flavor cooked chicken sausage and 1/4 cup sliced fresh cremini mushrooms in 2 teaspoons olive oil until brown. Fill omelet with the sausage-mushroom mixture, 2 tablespoons finely chopped red sweet pepper, and 2 tablespoons shredded provolone cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Egg White Omelet)
- Per serving:
- 72 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 164 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.