Egg 'n' Provolone Breakfast Casserole
The day before:
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add shallots and garlic to the reserved drippings. Cook and stir until garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, grease a 10-inch ovengoing skillet or 2-quart square baking dish; set aside. Spread one side of the bread slices with butter. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared skillet. Sprinkle with half of the bacon. Top with the remaining bread cubes and the remaining bacon. Spoon shallot mixture over layers in skillet; sprinkle with cheese (skillet will be full).
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, cream, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually pour egg mixture over layers in skillet; cover and chill overnight.
- About 1 hour before leaving home, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake casserole, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set (170 degrees F). Cover skillet with foil; tightly wrap entire skillet in foil. Tote casserole in an insulated carrier.
- At the tailgating site, immediately cut casserole into wedges or squares. Serve within 2 hours after removing casserole from oven.
From the Test Kitchen
Nutrition Facts (Egg 'n' Provolone Breakfast Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 521 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (21 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 259 mg chol. ,
- 836 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.