East Coast Clambake
The day before:
- Scrub clams and mussels in shells under cold running water. Remove beards from mussels, if present. In an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add clams and mussels. Soak for 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing two more times. Place clams and mussels in a storage container. Cover loosely with a moist cloth and chill overnight. If frozen, allow lobster tails to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Tightly cover clams and mussels in storage container. Cut lobster tails in half lengthwise. Tote clams and mussels, lobster, sausage, corn, and butter in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, stack two 13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pans together to form one pan. Transfer clams and mussels to the pan; add the 1/4 cup water. Cut potatoes into quarters; add potatoes and sausage to pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the Old Bay seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Mound lobster tails and corn on top. Tightly cover pan with heavy foil.
- Prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, grill seafood mixture in pan on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 25 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place seafood mixture in pan on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Meanwhile, place butter in a small disposable foil pan. While seafood mixture is grilling, add butter to grill. Heat about 5 minutes or until melted. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Discard any clams and mussels that do not open. Season seafood mixture to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve with melted butter and cooking liquid. Provide moist towelettes when serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Two 13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pans
Small cutting board and sharp knife
Small disposable foil pan
Nutrition Facts (East Coast Clambake)
- Per serving:
- 459 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 121 mg chol. ,
- 1078 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.