Double-Ginger Molasses Cookies
- In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa, espresso powder (if desired), spices, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium-low speed about 3 minutes or until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add the yolk and beat 1 minute. Add molasses and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients all at once, beating on low speed until flour is almost combined. Stir in candied ginger and chocolate until evenly distributed, being sure to incorporate any dry ingredients at the bottom of the bowl. Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Position racks to divide oven in thirds; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon some coarse sugar into a shallow bowl.
- For each cookie, shape a level medium cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon of dough into a ball and roll in the sugar to coat. Place a couple inches apart on baking sheet. Press to flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake about 13 minutes (rotate pans top to bottom and front to back after 7 minutes) or until lightly set around the edges but soft in the center. Let stand on baking sheets for 15 minutes. Remove; cool on wire racks.
- Mini Double-Ginger Molasses Cookies: Prepare cookies as directed, except use greased 13/4-inch muffin cups and use a small scoop to portion the dough. Bake about 11 minutes (rotate pan after 6 minutes).
From the Test Kitchen
Mini Double-Ginger Molasses Cookies
Prepare cookies as directed except use 1 3/4-inch muffin cups and use a small scoop to portion the dough. Bake about 11 minutes, turning once after 6 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Double-Ginger Molasses Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 135 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 52 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.