Diamond-Shape Santa Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch diamond-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using a new, dry artists paintbrush, create a hat by brushing half of each cutout with red-tinted Egg Paint, making stripes by alternating light and heavy strokes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Using a decorating bag fitted with a medium round tip, pipe a strip for each hatband and dots for each beard with frosting-consistency white Powdered Sugar Icing. Sprinkle hatbands with white jimmies. Using a small round tip, pipe eyelashes with black-tinted piping-consistency Powdered Sugar Icing. Use frosting to attach red candy for nose and white candy on hat tip.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a small bowl stir together egg yolk and water. Stir in paste food coloring to make a paint of desired color. Brush paint on cookies before baking so the egg mixture cooks fully.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make icing drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Diamond-Shape Santa Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 49 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
Betty Hicks 762 Days Ago
these Christmas cookies look so good just perfect for our "Friends of the Library" Christmas Party & Open house we have each year the first Saturday of December. Thanks so much..