Diamond-Shape Reindeer Gingerbread Cutouts
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. Set aside a small portion of dough for antlers. On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough one portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3-1/2-inch diamond-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place diamond-shape cutouts 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Using a paring knife, cut antler shapes from reserved dough. Place an antler shape near one point of each diamond, slightly overlapping the two pieces.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, taking care not to break antlers. Let cool.
- Using a decorating bag fitted with a small ribbon tip, pipe a strip of frosting-consistency red-tinted Royal Icing on one edge of each diamond for a collar. If desired, use a small round tip to pipe dots of frosting-consistency white Royal Icing on the collars; outline and flood antlers with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing. Using a decorating bag fitted with a multiopening (grass) tip, pipe frosting-consistency Royal Icing tinted brown for tufts of fur at top of head. Use icing to attach a miniature chocolate piece for each eye and a large red round candy for each nose.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Diamond-Shape Reindeer Gingerbread Cutouts)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.