Diamond-Shape Ornament Gingerbread Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2- to 2-1/2-inch diamond-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using a beverage straw, cut out a hole centered in one point of each diamond. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. If necessary, while cookies are still hot, use the straw to re-form the hole in each cookie. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood cookies with glaze-consistency green-tinted Royal Icing. While icing is still wet, decorate cookies with large pink confetti candies or other candies; let stand until set. If desired, thread hanging loop through each hole.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Diamond-Shape Ornament Gingerbread Cookies )
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.