Diamond Gingerbread Tree Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4-inch elongated diamond-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood one half of each cookie with glaze-consistency green-tinted Royal Icing for a tree; let stand until almost dry. Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe a zigzag of thicker glaze-consistency Royal Icing tinted light green on each tree. Cut chocolate-caramel logs in half; attach a piece as a trunk for each tree using a small amount of icing. For presents, use frosting to attach pieces of chewy fruit-flavor squares to unfrosted portions of cookies. Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe ribbons on presents with frosting-consistency white Royal Icing.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Diamond Gingerbread Tree Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.