Short-and-Sweet Berry Shortcake
- Toss berries with the 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. If desired, toss with vinegar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or until a syrup forms.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place oats in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until fine.
- Transfer oats to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the flour, the 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and oil all at once. Using a fork, stir just until dough clings together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead the dough by gently folding and pressing for 10 to 12 strokes. Pat or lightly roll the dough into a 6-inch square. Cut into four 3-inch stars of other desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush lightly with milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove shortcakes from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine ricotta cheese, honey, and orange juice concentrate. Beat with a fork until smooth. Cover and chill until needed or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, split warm shortcakes in half. Place shortcake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with some of the berry mixture. Add shortcake tops and remaining berries. Dollop with Honeyed Ricotta. If desired, garnish with orange peel curls. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
You can make the shortcakes a day ahead. After they cool, seal them in an airtight container and store at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Short-and-Sweet Berry Shortcake)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 266 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.