Semisweet-Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Lightly coat the inside of a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring milk to simmering; remove from heat. Add chocolate pieces and presweetened cocoa powder (do not stir); let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool slightly (about 10 minutes). In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and chocolate mixture. Gently stir in bread cubes. Pour mixture into prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 2-1/2 hours or until puffed and a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove liner from cooker, if possible, or turn off cooker. Let stand, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes to cool slightly before serving (pudding will fall during cooling).
- To serve, spoon warm pudding into dessert dishes. If desired, top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dry bread cubes, spread fresh bread cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degrees degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool.
Nutrition Facts (Semisweet-Chocolate Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 360 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 95 mg chol. ,
- 214 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.