Rum Baby Cakes
- Drain pineapple well, reserving liquid (you should have about 1/3 cup juice). Set pineapple slices aside. In a small saucepan combine reserved pineapple juice, rum, and apricots. Bring the mixture just to boiling; remove from heat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Strain, reserving both the liquid and the apricots. In the same saucepan combine the 3 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of the reserved liquid. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Lightly coat the insides of six 10-ounce ramekins or custard cups or 1-cup fluted tube pans with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the brown sugar mixture evenly into the prepared pans. Cut each pineapple slice into 6 pieces. Arrange pineapple and apricots evenly on top of the sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small mixing bowl stir together flour, coconut, and baking powder; set aside. Measure the remaining juice mixture; add enough water to equal 2/3 cup; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the 1/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined. Alternately add the 2/3 cup liquid and the flour mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Carefully spoon batter over fruit in ramekins. Bake in the preheated oven about 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in ramekins on wire racks for 5 minutes. Loosen cakes from ramekins; invert cakes onto serving plates. Serve warm. If desired, top with whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Reheat Cakes:
Wrap loosely in foil and bake in a 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through. Or, place in microwave, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 30 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Rum Baby Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 446 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 212 mg sodium ,
- 67 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.