Reduced-Fat Cream Puffs
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Bring water, margarine, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Cool 10 minutes.
- Add the 4 eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons, 3 inches apart onto baking sheet, making 12 mounds. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Cool. Split cream puffs and remove any soft dough from inside.
- Meanwhile, for pudding, in a saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and food coloring, if desired. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with clear plastic wrap. Chill.
- Prepare filling; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Fill cream puffs as above.
- To serve, fill cream puffs with pudding and strawberries. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare cream puffs; cool. Wrap in plastic freezer bags or place in airtight freezer containers and freeze up to 1 month or store at room temperature up to 24 hours. Split cream puffs and remove any soft dough from inside.
Nutrition Facts (Reduced-Fat Cream Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 172 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 6 g pro.