Pumpkin Shortcake with Fall Fruit Medley
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, the 1/2 cup brown sugar, the pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and baking soda. Add buttermilk or sour milk; shortening, margarine, or butter; 1/2 cup pumpkin; honey; egg; and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. Stir in 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, the cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon orange peel, and the cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar melts and mixture is bubbly. Stir in green apple, apple cider or juice, and prunes. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the cranberries. Cook and stir until cranberries soften and mixture becomes syrupy. Stir in toasted nuts. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream and granulated sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin.
- Cool shortcake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Split into 2 layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spoon half of the fruit mixture over bottom layer of cake. Top with half of the pumpkin cream. Place remaining cake layer atop and repeat fruit layer. Top with dollops of remaining Pumpkin Cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make sour milk, place 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to measure 1/3 cup liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin Shortcake with Fall Fruit Medley)
- Per serving:
- 436 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 68 mg chol. ,
- 173 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.