- Butter the sides of eight 1-cup souffle dishes or a 2-quart souffle dish and sprinkle with sugar. To make a collar for each souffle dish, measure enough foil to wrap around the top of the souffle dish and add 1 inch for the individual souffle dishes or 3 inches for the 2-quart dish. Fold the foil in thirds lengthwise. Lightly butter 1 side of the foil and sprinkle with sugar. Attach the foil, sugar side in, around the outside of the dish so the foil extends 2 inches above each dish. Tape or pin the ends of the foil together; set aside. Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position.
- In a small saucepan melt the 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the flour. Add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in orange peel and orange liqueur or orange juice. Gradually stir the mixture into the beaten yolks; set aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture. Spoon mixture into the prepared souffle dish(s). Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes for individual dishes or 40 to 45 minutes for 2-quart dish or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve at once with Custard Sauce. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Add 1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals to saucepan with milk. Omit orange peel and orange liqueur or orange juice.
- In a saucepan stir together milk, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Gradually stir the mixture into egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan and cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2 minutes more. Stir in orange liqueur and finely shredded orange peel. Pour through a sieve into a small bowl; let cool. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (If preparing Cappuccino Souffle, omit liqueur and peel.)
Nutrition Facts (Orange Souffle)
- Per serving:
- 230 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 232 mg chol. ,
- 133 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 8 g pro.