Meringue Shells with Fruit
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Draw six 3- to 4-inch circles on the paper or foil; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. For meringue, in a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form and sugar is almost dissolved (about 7 minutes).
- Spread or pipe meringue over circles on paper, building up sides to form shells. Bake for 35 minutes. Turn off oven; let meringues dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour. Lift meringues off paper and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make Fluffy Lemon Filling. To serve, spoon lemon filling into shells. Arrange fruit on top of filling. Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 meringues
From the Test Kitchen
Carefully wrap meringue shells in foil. Freeze up to 6 months.
Fluffy Lemon Filling
- Per about 1/4 cup: 206 cal., 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 40 g carbo., 35 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 0g pro.
- In a medium bowl stir together lemon curd and frozen whipped topping, thawed. Use in place of Lemon Curd in step 5. Makes about 1 1/2 cups (6 servings).
- Daily Values: 0% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 0% calcium, 0% iron
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 Other Carbo., 1 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Meringue Shells with Fruit)
- Per serving:
- 299 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 55 mg sodium ,
- 61 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 53 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.