- For sugar syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water; heat and stir over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cool the syrup.
- Seed, peel, and cut mangoes in chunks. Place mango chunks in a blender or food processor with 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Halve, seed, peel, and cut the cantaloupe in chunks. Place the chunks and remaining sugar syrup in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add to the mango puree, then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Use the back of a large spoon or rubber spatula to press on the pulp to extract as much juice as possible. Stir lime juice into strained fruit juice. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the fruit mixture into 3-ounce molds*, allowing room for expansion. Place in freezer. After 1 hour in the freezer and while the mixture is slushy, insert wooden sticks. Freeze for at least 3 hours more or overnight.
- To remove the pops from the molds, squeeze the sides of the mold twisting gently to dislodge the pops or quickly run hot water on the outside of the molds to dislodge. Makes 10 to 12 pops.
From the Test Kitchen
Or, pour the juice into 3-ounce plastic cups. Cover the cups with foil. With a sharp knife make a slit in the foil of each. Freeze and add sticks as directed above.
Nutrition Facts (Mango-Melon Pops)
- Per serving:
- 113 kcal ,
- 13 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.