Lemon-Poppy Seed Strawberry Shortcake
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together strawberries and, if desired, the 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- For the shortcake, in a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Cut in the margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; add the buttermilk, poppy seed, and the 1 teaspoon lemon peel all at once. Stir just until dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree F. for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, for mascarpone cheese mixture, in a medium mixing bowl beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer on low speed just until soft peaks form. Add the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and the 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel; beat until fluffy (mixture will thicken as it is beaten).
- Split warm shortcake into 2 layers. Place bottom layer on serving platter. Spread half of the mascarpone cheese mixture atop the bottom layer of shortcake. Spoon some of the strawberries onto cheese layer. Add top layer of shortcake. Repeat cheese and strawberry layers. Pass any remaining strawberries. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Slice strawberries; cover and chill for up to 2 hours. Prepare mascarpone mixture; cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Poppy Seed Strawberry Shortcake)
- Per serving:
- 393 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 266 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 9 g pro.