- Let egg whites stand at room temperature in a large mixing bowl for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Using a pencil, draw eight 2-1/4-inch circles and eight 1-3/4-inch circles about 1 inch apart on the paper.* Turn paper pencil-side down on baking sheet; set aside. Preheat oven to 300 degree F.
- Add lemon juice and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 7 minutes or until very stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is almost dissolved.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a medium (1/4-inch) round tip, pipe a flat base of meringue onto all of the circles on the paper. Pipe a ring of meringue onto edges of each of the 8 larger meringue rounds, building the sides 3/4 inch tall by piping a continuous coil of meringue to form a small shell. For tops, pipe a coil of meringue on smaller rounds to make a cone shape that resembles the top of a beehive.
- Bake in a 300 degree f oven for 30 minutes. Turn off oven. Let meringues dry in oven, with door closed, at least 1 hour. Remove dry meringues from paper. Place in an airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- Just before serving, spoon 1 tablespoon of lemon curd into each bottom meringue shell. Place a few berries on lemon curd. Prop top of meringue beehive next to bottom. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For free-form meringue shells without tops, make eight 3-inch circles on foil or parchment. Use back of a large spoon to spread meringue over circles, building up sides to form shells. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Meringue Beehives)
- Per serving:
- 144 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 29 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.