Recipes and Cooking Gingerbread Cutouts 5.0 (2) 2 Reviews Looking for something to do on a rainy day? Bake up a batch of these cutouts using people and animal cookie cutters and let the kids decorate them. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on September 13, 2022 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 35 mins Chill Time: 3 hrs Bake Time: 5 mins Total Time: 35 mins Yield: 36 to 48 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup shortening ¼ cup butter, softened ½ cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon ground ginger ½ teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground cloves ¼ teaspoon salt 1 egg ½ cup molasses 1 tablespoon cider vinegar 3 cup all-purpose flour 1 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing or Royal Icing (optional) Decorative candies (optional) Powdered Sugar Icing 1 cup sifted powdered sugar 1 tablespoon milk ¼ teaspoon vanilla Royal Icing 3 tablespoon meringue powder or powdered egg whites 4 cup (1-pound box) confectioners sugar, 6 tablespoon water Directions In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the next seven ingredients (through salt). Beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion and cut out shapes, rerolling scraps as needed. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, decorate cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing or Royal Icing and candies. Powdered Sugar Icing In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency. Royal Icing Beat together meringue powder or powdered egg whites, confectioners sugar, and water in bowl until peaks form, 10 minutes. Emily VanSchmus Gingerbread People Cutouts: Prepare as directed, except roll dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 4-1/2 to 6-inch people-shape cookie cutters. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Decorate as desired. Makes about 18 cookies. To Store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies; if desired, decorate. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 151 Calories 7g Fat 21g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 151 % Daily Value * Total Fat 7g 9% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 13mg 4% Sodium 92mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 21g 8% Total Sugars 9g Protein 2g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.