- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and granulated sugar in the warm milk. In a large bowl, using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour until crumbly; stir in yeast mixture, sour cream, and 2 of the egg yolks. With floured hands, knead until combined. Divide mixture in half.
- On a floured surface, roll each half of the dough into a 12-inch square. Fold each square in thirds; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- For filling, in a small bowl, stir together spreadable fruit and pecans; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll each dough portion into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 2-1/2-inch squares (48 total). Place a slightly rounded 1/2 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Fold each square in half diagonally to form a triangle. Seal edges with tines of a fork. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining egg yolk and the water; brush over tops of pastries. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 350F oven about 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire racks. Serve warm, or cool to room temperature. Makes 48 pastries.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Fruit-Filled Pastries as directed. Cool completely. Place pastries in a single layer in freezer containers; freeze up to 1 month. To serve, place frozen pastries on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 350F oven about 10 minutes or until warm. Serve immediately, or cool to room temperature.