Double-Dipped Red Pears
- Wash and dry pears. Leave stems intact. Place pears on a buttered baking sheet. Place chopped nuts in a shallow dish; set aside.
- Unwrap caramels. In a heavy, medium saucepan heat and stir caramels and water over medium-low heat just until caramels melt.
- Holding onto the stem carefully dip each pear into hot caramel mixture, spooning caramel evenly over the bottom half of the pear (do not dip entire pear). Do not pierce pear with fork. Allow excess caramel to drip off. Briefly set bottom of partially coated pear in nuts. Return pear to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pears, caramel mixture, and nuts. Let stand about 30 minutes or until caramel is firm.
- In a small saucepan stir semisweet chocolate pieces and the 2 teaspoons shortening over low heat until melted. Drizzle chocolate over stem end of pears allowing excess chocolate to drip down sides of pears, but not covering all of the peel of the pears.* Let stand about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- In a small saucepan stir white baking pieces and the 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening over low heat until melted. Drizzle white mixture over each pear, but do not completely cover the semisweet chocolate.* Let pears stand about 1 hour or until chocolate is completely set. Chill, if desired. To serve, cut pears into quarters. Makes 6 pears (24 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed. Store pears in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
If you like, place melted chocolate in self-sealing plastic bags. Snip off one corner of each bag and use to drizzle chocolate onto pears.
Nutrition Facts (Double-Dipped Red Pears)
- Per serving:
- 170 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 81 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.