- Coat six 6-ounce custard cups with oil or cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat milk, rosemary, vanilla bean, orange peel, and lime peel just until bubbly. Remove from heat. Pour milk mixture through a sieve lined with a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth to remove vanilla bean and peels. Discard vanilla bean and peels. Set aside milk mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine egg product and sugar. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Place the custard cups in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Set baking dish on an oven rack. Pour custard mixture evenly into cups. Pour enough hot water into the baking dish to reach halfway up sides of cups.
- Cover baking dish loosely with foil. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Remove custards from baking dish. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill until serving time.
- To unmold custards, loosen edges with a knife. Invert a dessert plate over each custard; turn custard cup and plate over together. Pour maple syrup over custards and garnish with fresh berries. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare, bake, and cool custards as directed. Cover unmolded custards and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Creme Caramel)
- Per serving:
- 115 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 108 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.