- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon peel. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cranberries. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl combine milk and sour cream. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Do not over mix.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough about 6 to 8 strokes or until nearly smooth. Place dough on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a lightly floured rolling pin or floured hands, roll or pat into a 10-inch circle, that is 3/4-inch thick. Cover and freeze for 20 minutes or until dough is firm enough to cut; cut into 8 to 12 wedges, but do not separate wedges.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; drizzle with powdered sugar icing and sprinkle with lemon peel.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar and enough milk to make a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Lemon Scones)
- Per serving:
- 533 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 66 mg chol. ,
- 651 mg sodium ,
- 71 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.
jbuller4063120 339 Days Ago
Delicious! The lemon and the fresh cranberries made this scone such a great treat! Loved the combination. Skipped the topping as it was great as it without it. Would make them smaller in the future as they were huge scones. I make a lot of scones, this is a keeper recipe!
Amy Zwahlen Young 1463 Days Ago
I use craisins and soak them in hot Amaretto for about 1/2 hr. I also add white chocolate chips to this which sends it waaaaay over the top! I don't totally freeze the dough, just enough to harden it slightly. Much easier to cut that way.
Joanne Morelli 1536 Days Ago
Fresh or Dried cranberries?
Ruth Cobb 1656 Days Ago
How can I cut the amount of carbs. This recipe which sounds so good has 71 carbs, which is more than I'm allowed for a meal. (2-3 carbs for breakfast, 4 carbs each for lunch and dinner. Love scones but can't have them very often.
Christine Marino 1657 Days Ago
These are very delicious and light although a bit messy to make. One circle is too big, next time I'll make two. if you use a pizza cutter to make the cuts, there is no need to freeze the dough before cutting. For the icing I used fresh lemon juice.