Caramel-Bourbon Upside-Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Melt the butter or margarine in a 9x9x2-inch baking pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and bourbon or orange juice. Spoon pineapple, apricots, raisins, and nuts into the pan; stir together to mix, then spread into an even layer. Set pan aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, milk, and cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Spoon in mounds over the fruit mixture; spread evenly.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen sides; invert onto a plate. Spoon on any topping that falls off. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*To reheat one serving, place on a microwave-safe plate. Microcook, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 20 seconds.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel-Bourbon Upside-Down Cake)
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 210 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.