Browned Butter Bread Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In large bowl combine bread cubes and dates; set aside.
- In small skillet heat and stir butter until browned. Remove from heat. Place 1/4 cup of melted butter in another large bowl (set remaining butter aside for sauce). Beat in eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon until combined. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture; toss to coat.
- Turn bread mixture into prepared baking dish. Place baking dish on cookie sheet. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove baking dish from oven; cool slightly. Sprinkle with nuts.
- In small bowl stir together reserved browned butter, powdered sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk in 3 to 4 tablespoons milk to make of drizzling consistency. Serve with warm bread pudding. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dry bread cubes, spread the cubes out on a large baking sheet. Let them stand, uncovered, on a kitchen counter overnight, stirring the bread cubes occasionally.
Nutrition Facts (Browned Butter Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 627 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 243 mg chol. ,
- 544 mg sodium ,
- 81 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 14 g pro.