- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, 1/3 cup nuts, and 1/4 cup sugar; add butter and beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a blender place 1/2 of the blackberries; cover and blend until smooth. In a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch; add berry puree and orange juice. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Cool slightly. Stir in remaining blackberries. Cover and cool.
- In a shallow baking pan combine coconut and the 3/4 cup walnuts. Bake for 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Cool.
- In a large chilled bowl stir ice cream to soften; swirl in 3/4 cup of the blackberry mixture and 1 cup of the coconut/walnut mixture. Spoon atop baked crust. Sprinkle with remaining coconut mixture. Cover and freeze at least 4 hours or until firm. Cover and chill remaining berry mixture.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces. Spoon some of the remaining blackberry sauce atop each square. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
* Using frozen blackberries:
Divide in half to thaw. Only drain the ones left whole.
Nutrition Facts (Blackberry-Coconut Dessert)
- Per serving:
- 348 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 45 mg chol. ,
- 105 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.