Black Forest Cream Puffs
- For cream puffs, in a medium saucepan, combine milk, water and butter. Bring to boiling. Add the all-purpose flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Remove the saucepan from heat. Cool the cream puff mixture for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until smooth.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet for a total of 12 cream puffs.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until golden. Cool puffs on a wire rack. Split puffs and remove any soft dough from inside.
- Meanwhile, for the cherry filling, place thawed cherries in a sieve over a 2-cup measuring cup; drain the cherries, reserving cherry juice. Add enough water to reserved cherry juice to make 2 cups liquid; set the cherries aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherry-juice mixture, kirsch, and red food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and cherries. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- To assemble, spoon cherry filling inside puffs. Drizzle puffs with melted chocolate. Serve with whipped cream. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, prepare the cherry filling, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Also, you can fill the puffs up to 1 hour ahead, drizzle on the chocolate and refrigerate.